Medical laboratory technologists perform a variety of laboratory applications and analyzes to help physicians diagnose, monitor, treat and prevent disease. Medical laboratory technologists may work in fields such as clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, hematology, histotechnology, immunohematology, and cytotechnology.
An exciting job
In general, medical laboratory technologists:
- Perform routine and specialized tests using manual and automated techniques;
- Prepare samples for analysis (eg centrifugation, aliquoting, preservation);
- Analyze examples and authenticate results making use of established protocols;
- See to the operation, troubleshooting and preventive maintenance of the equipment;
- Perform chemical analysis of blood, urine, cerebrospinal fluid and other fluids from the body;
- Study cells in the blood or other tissues to determine their relationship to various physiological and pathological disorders;
- Establish the methods of sample analysis and the methods of medical laboratory experiments;
- Perform tests to determine blood groups and types and suitability for transfusions;
As needed, provide advice, training and guidance to other medical laboratory technologists, students, and other health professionals.
Personal characteristics and aptitudes
- Ability to work meticulously and maintain a high degree of precision
- Good manual dexterity
- Good perception of colors and shapes
- Analytical mind, Initiative and good judgment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to function effectively within a team
Education and formation
Qualities to become a laboratory technician
Given the very mission of the laboratory technician, he must demonstrate extreme rigor and be very methodical. Indeed, the slightest error in interpretation or in the protocol could have disastrous consequences.
Consequently, the professional must absolutely have the spirit of analysis. This skill will allow him to quickly detect anomalies in the samples.
Training to become a laboratory technician
To become a laboratory technician, following a qualifying and Widad diploma training course is compulsory in order to acquire the essential knowledge. Several solutions are available to you, accessible both in the context of initial training and that of continuing training, allowing easy professional retraining as a laboratory technician.
BAC + 2 level
State diploma (DE) in biomedical analysis technician. Accessible to any holder of a baccalaureate (or equivalent qualification) or who can prove a professional experience of at least five years, you must be at least 17 years old to prepare for this diploma in three years.
BTS analysis of medical biology. It takes two years to prepare and is accessible to any holder of a BAC STL, a Bac ST2S or a Bac S.
DUT in biological engineering, option biological and biochemical analyzes. It takes two years to prepare and is accessible to any holder of a baccalaureate: bac S, bac STL (biotechnology)
After graduating, you can prepare the certificate of ability to take blood samples.
As part of a professional development or reorientation, it is possible to become a laboratory technician through continuing training by preparing most of the diplomas mentioned above or the title of laboratory technician in chemistry, biochemistry, biology.
Like all health professionals, medical analysis laboratory technicians have an obligation to receive regular training throughout their careers.
Widad College merupakan universiti yang menawarkan bidang perubatan terbaik di Malaysia.
For more articles, click here to read.